Girl and guy (seemingly language partners) at next table in the cafe have been struggling for the past two-ish minutes trying to look up “quantum mechanics” in English (their target language). I am extremely tempted to tell them that it’s “quantum mechanics” they are looking for, but this will probably make me seem a snooty, pretentious, eavesdropping person.
Although as for eavesdropping, they are speaking insanely loudly, so I’m not taking that on my conscience.
Black dog. Sometimes I find it astonishing how little progress we’ve made regarding the stigma of mental illnesses in society in general, and how difficult it is to find support, or even the courage to look for support alone. This is in relation to Pamela and Dr Turner, and to an extent also to Alan, the young veteran in the Christmas Special.
Chummy and Peter are the cutest. So are the young nurses.
The trailer for next week though? Holy sugardrops. I both want it to be Sunday immediately and also not at all. Hiatuses are a necessary pain, but that doesn’t make them less painful… (says she who also follows Sherlock and Mad Men).
owlsiehoot said: Like SO much! World, stop turning. One timezone for everyone!
As tempting a proposition it would be - if I were in charge of timezones and the such - the scientist in me inherently regards this as a difficult thing to enforce, especially given the slack Russia and China already get for having fewer timezones than perhaps feasible. Maybe you can do implement this when you rule the world!
That said, if you are where I think you are, I admire the staying-up-to-watch-the-Oscars spirit. ;)
A tiny, self-righteous, arrogant-as-hell rant coming up (feel free to scroll past):
99% of the time I welcome it when people correct any pronunciation errors I make, and many of these are on a regional basis anyway. That remainder 1% though, I need to bust some capillaries in order to not reply “I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the other five languages I speak [beyond being able to order a beer, and maintain on a regular basis].”
Hello beautiful person! Once you get this, you should share 5 random facts with us and […]
I am currently sat cross-legged on my big bed in my lovely little flat with chai in a dotty mug.
The week after the next I’ll be trading the above in for a big room with a little bed and a lovely room-mate (and probably dottiness as a result of jet-lag) as I get dispatched halfway across the world on work-based adventures.
I will remain in my destination for a big ol’ pile of weeks, so one of my current concerns is how I am going to watch the last two episodes of the current series of Call the Midwife. Priorities.
I am already aware that my room-mate is also a CtM spectator. Again, priorities.
2014 will be the year I put myself first. Not because I somehow “deserve” a “”me-year”, but because I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to be in tip-top shape (in many ways) to produce good work, and be a good friend/family-member, so I hope you will all be good to yourselves too.
That aside, I love this alternative look on the matter of consent presented by HTMG. With the quantity of discussion going on surrounding rape cases in newspapers, who makes what decisions (and other notes on patriarchy), it’s a new take on the matter of whether a person with disabilities can make a conscious decision. Perhaps this would go down with the issue of precisely how hampering any “disabilities (sic)” is - e.g. Timothy mentioning that his polio affected his legs, not his brain.
Since you “don’t care” any more, I’m guessing this is rhetorical, but since I’m having a procrastinatory evening…
In the end, as long as it’s all uniform, the markers are usually happy. I’m sure there’s a reference guide for either Chicago or Harvard on your uni’s website. The only thing I’ve noticed that is pretty constant across the board is that titles need to be in italics, and if you’re citing journal papers, it’s the journal title that goes in italics, after the article title. Most people also seem to wind up individual citations with “[comma][year of publication]”. Although I’d go with a) making sure that the reader will know precisely where to check for the source, and b) uniformity.